Saturday, July 13, 2013

Journal Entry #1 Lessons Learned /Alanna Schauer


                                                                                                                Alanna M Schauer

                                                                                                        Module 1-Databases and                 

                                                                                                        Knowledge Management

 

            Creating a blog was a unique experience, coupled with stress and shear panic at some moments.  I enjoyed reading the article that I had chosen about the security of our personal data, and the government's ability to access it based on laws post 911. I learned from Joy that data mining is crucial to develop outcomes and treatment plans for patient care. Patterns can be identified, decisions can be made, and changes implemented based on the results of the analyzed data. Adam presented the importance of nursing school students being taught the fundamentals of electronic health records and how to search for patient information. He feels it is a shortcoming of the nursing school curriculum. I am hoping it will be taught on some level in the schools soon. I learned from Fiona that there are major initiatives in healthcare to reduce costs while providing better patient care and quality outcomes. I felt with Accountable Care Organizations (ACO) emerging this may help to control costs and force a unified front towards patient care assuming the patient is compliant.

            This was a great assignment and I look forward to this week's blog. I do hope I can read everyone's this week.

Thanks,

Alanna

No comments:

Post a Comment